Wednesday 23 October 2013

Book Review: A Visitor's Companion To Tudor England by Dr Suzannah Lipscomb

I had been meaning to read this book for a while, and with a week off work I have finally had a chance to. The aim of this book as the title suggests is to be the ultimate visitor's companion, whilst visiting some of the places mentioned in the book with any Tudor relevance. Dr Lipscomb was very keen to confirm that she included places with great historical significance, architectural significance etc. in relation to the Tudor age. And this mission statement (so to speak), she has followed to the letter.

The book itself was easy to follow, with sub sections for each of the places. Each had a little drawing to  help build the imagination. At first I found that the book lacked pictures, and thought of this as a rather odd notion. But now I see it as something rather brilliant. Without seeing pictures of these historical places it makes you further intrigued to go, and actually visit them. Suzannah writes in a fluid style, that makes her work easy to follow, and understand. I completed the book over the course of two days, whilst carrying out my other duties such as chores etc.

The places mentioned in the book vary from the rather obvious, such as Hampton Court Palace to the downright intriguing, such as Kett's Oak, Wymondham, Norfolk. She has chosen such a varied field, that your interest was maintained throughout.

Dr Lipscomb states that she has decided to not include a bibliography, which is my only pet peeve with the book. She does try to counter-act this however, with a further reading list at the end. The list itself is quite extensive, so the reader will have plenty to keep them occupied.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone, I was that impressed with it. I urge you to read it, if you haven't already, it is well suited for the Tudor enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment