Friday 7 February 2014

Review it! :- The Search For Richard III The King's Grave by Phillipa Langley and Michael Jones

Finally! I have had the time to complete this book that I bought a couple of months ago! Seriously, time goes that fast, we will be starting the new reenactment season before I know it, and I have to swap my fluffy socks and onesie's for a more lady-like Tudor gown.

This book is as it's name suggests, is about finding the remains of Richard III. This book, however is from the perspective of Phillipa Langley and Michael Jones, and they alternate every chapter or so. Phillipa focuses primarily on her thoughts and feelings, and the struggles she faced throughout the dig. Whilst, Michael is portraying the character of Richard III, and really laying down the maligned king in a positive light. This doesn't mean that it completely slates the Tudors, rather the arguments made by Jones are so constructive throughout, that there is very minimal Tudor-bashing (if you can even call it that).  My only slight issue with his chapters was the length. Sometimes they seemed to go on forever, and he would highlight the same facts and arguments as before. But in all honesty, he argued his point so well, it wasn't a big deal at all, I rather enjoyed re-reading them.

Most of us watched 'The King in the Car Park', the TV documentary which documented the dig in it's entirety. What I hoped this book would do, was expand on the program, giving us (the reader) insights into the parts that we had been unable to see. Whilst I enjoyed the book, and looked forward to Langley's view on the rather unsympathetic Dr Jo Appleby (note to self, if ever I run an archaeological dig, do not hire Jo Appleby) in regards to putting the standard on the box of Richard's remains or not, it never fully expanded on the program. It just reiterated what had already been documented, apart from telling us what she had for breakfast most mornings - hmm bacon and eggs! Drool! Be fair to her though, she found a king, so I will let her off the hook.

I'm not saying do not buy this book! I personally think this was a fabulous piece of work, and it is a credit to them both.  I am glad that I bought it, it's made me gain a whole new perspective on Richard, changing my views on some things. Whilst, it could be Tudor propaganda (we will never know), I still believe that Richard III killed Edward V and Richard Duke of York (sorry Richardians). But only, and this is the books influence, because of the issue relating to the proposed bastardy of his brother Edward IV. But that's the joy of the book, it makes you question what you believe - and that can never be bad!

I'm looking forward to reading Dr John Ashdown-Hill's book next 'The Last Days of Richard III', as Ashdown-Hill played such an important role in finding Richard too (by his research).

Book Rating: 9/10

The book can be brought on Amazon. I have attached the UK link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-Grave-Search-Richard-III-ebook/dp/B00CIVLYYA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391798456&sr=1-1&keywords=phillipa+langley

No comments:

Post a Comment